Regional Field Engineer

Location: US General


We are looking for a Regional Field Engineer to join our Service team who excels in electrical and controls troubleshooting and editing of servo and PLC software. You will reside in and serve one of our three open regions- Northeast, Southeast, or Southwest. Travel 75% of the time within the region and enjoy the other 25% working from your home office performing Service support and/or Parts Department duties.


  • Perform field electrical and controls setup on new equipment (core and robotics systems), aftermarket, and reactive/trouble shooting of Pearson equipment to meet customer acceptance operational criteria
  • Provide operator/maintenance training as well as formal machine training to all our customers as required
  • Complete on-site system audits/evaluations for the purpose of identifying the root cause of issues preventing systems from meeting customer expectations
  • Proactive review of other on-site equipment and offering of services and/or report back to the Pearson Service Support Team with potential customer opportunities
  • Document all on-site activities, findings, and recommendations for customer review and approval prior to leaving the customer’s facility; this will include capturing any follow-up actions and helping to coordinate and close out calls with the customer, Project Manager, or Service Support Team
  • Complete and turn in trip reports that capture all time and scope of work completed on site, all findings or quality issues that need to be reviewed internally by Engineering and Assembly, and all follow-up actions the Customer Service Representative will need to take action on
  • Provide customer technical support via email, phone, video calls and remote support, including follow up calls to ensure machines are running optimally after troubleshooting
  • Proactively call Pearson’s customer base, and log and track all calls within ERP system
  • Perform Parts department requests and assist customers and Parts Department in identifying parts by walking through part drawings


  • Strong problem solving and independent decision making abilities
  • Solid computer skills including experience with Microsoft applications, email, or other CRM’s
  • Strong Controls and Electrical experience with some Fabrication/Mechanical/Assembly experience
  • Ability to read and understand 2D and 3D drawings
  • Strong customer interaction experience
  • Operator and maintenance machine training capabilities
  • Capable of making service trips to Pearson customers within established territory (territories may be adjusted to meet business demands)
  • Technical school graduate with a minimum of 5 years experience in Controls and Electrical with strong training capabilities; experience with mechanical industrial machines and robotic systems preferred
  • 5 years minimum experience reading and editing PLC logic as it pertains to the system functionality
  • 5 years minimum experience in editing, programming and teaching points on robotic systems, preferably Fanuc
  • Self-motivated working in a remote environment
  • Proactive follow-up calling and logging calls


  • Competitive pay DOE
  • Top-tier benefit plan including Medical, Dental, Vision, Lift, Short and Long-Term disability, and EAP
  • 401K with matching contributions
Pearson Packaging Systems is an Equal Opportunity Employer.